Does your London property show any of the following signs?
- Mould or mildew on walls
- Powdery mineral deposits, often in a flower shape
- Yellow/brown marks on walls
- Wallpaper peeling away
- Rotten skirting board timber
- Air bubbles and blistering of paintwork
- A permanent damp and musty smell
- Deterioration of lower fixtures and fittings
If you answered 'yes' to any of these, your property could be suffering from rising damp.
What is rising damp?
Excess ground water and leakages from other sources can often expose bricks/masonry to enough moisture that it 'wicks' its way upwards through a process known as 'capillary action'. This process is very much like how a cloth touching a pool of liquid will draw up the fluid, even if the cloth is entirely vertical.
Most modern properties built within the last century or so will have a layer built in to the walls near the ground to stop this process in its tracks. This is known as a Damp-Proof Course (DPC).
What are the causes of rising damp?
The main property issues leading to rising damp are:
- DPC faulty, absent or deteriorated
- Improperly installed DPC
- Adjoining structure higher than DPC
- Water leakage from plumbing issues
- Poor drainage of local land
- Faulty guttering, fascias or downpipes
- Damaged or poorly fitting roofing
- Local flooding
What problems can untreated rising damp cause?
If your home is currently showing any signs of damp you will be well aware how unattractive it looks but it's not just an aesthetic issue. Persistent damp often gives rise to mould, affecting respiratory systems and contributing to conditions such as asthma.
If left untreated, damp can spread throughout your property, causing widespread structural and visual damage, not forgetting the negative effects on the value of your home.
How can London Damp Proofing help?
Get in touch with us today and we will aim to solve your damp issues as soon as possible. Our trained team can visit your London property at a time to suit you.
With prompt analysis, diagnosis and application of our specialist treatments, the causes of damp can be eradicated and any structural damage repaired.